Things I liked:
- I liked the "scare shots". They took the less-is-more approach to horror and I find it very effective.
- I liked the ring repetition. The Dreamworks logo blips for a second and becomes the ring. The ringing of the telephone. The reel-change indicators ( In the industry we call them cigarette burns) were rings. The horses', Samara's, and Aidan's eyes were all black with white coronas.
- The scene where the horse freaked out on the ferry was really spooky and tense.
- The camera work was flawless. The sets and images were just awesome.
- I liked that Naomi Watts wasn't made up like a super-model. She dressed plainly and focused on acting. Refreshing.
- The kid that played Aidan was really good. He had the intensity thing down.
- I liked the location :) I just think it's cool to see familiar places on film.
Things I didn't like:
- The boring, cheesy beginning just stank. "ooh we're supposed to be scared." "oh, haha, they were just fooling around like teenagers do."
- The story made very little sense. There are good ways to go about this (Mulholland Drive) and there are bad ways. It felt like this movie wanted to make some kind of sense.
- The whole clairvoyant child thing is just tired.
- How the fuck did the tape come to be?
I can recommend seeing it if only to see what everybody is talking about.