Jesus Fucking Christ! Welcome to the wonderful world of linux audio. I can't get one single application working. I've tried rosegarden, jazz++, and muse. I've had the most luck with rosegarden. All I had to do was install a debian package. It starts up at least. I tried compiling jazz++ but it requires some ancient windowing toolkits and ALSA 0.5.x!!!. And, for some reason, Debian doesn't have a muse package for the testing branch. There's a package for stable. There's a package for unstable. There's not a package for testing.
It looks like I need to make a decision. Learn C or surrender to Microsoft.